- Things to Consider When Outsourcing Your Mobile App Development Project
- Beware of These 7 Popular Cyber Security Threats
- Find a Top Mobile App Development Company That Fits Your Needs
- Importance of Developing a Website for Your Business
- App Store Review Guidelines: 5 Mistakes to Avoid for Successful iOS App Submission
- Android App Development Libraries You May Find Trending in 2023
- Creating A Money Making App Gets Easy… Know How
- Want to Make Your Game App Successful? Here is the Success Mantra For You…
- How Monetization Trends are Revolutionizing Mobile Game Apps
- Ensure a Successful Business with These Potential Travel App Ideas
- Know How Cyber Security and Physical Security Are Similar
- What do the Statistics say about Mobile App Development Growth in 2023
- Benefits of Promoting Your Business Using Mobile Games
- Find the Popular Frameworks in the Market Used for Mobile App Development
- Metaverse and Its Five Essential Features
- Watch Out For the Ruling Trends in Mobile Game App Development
- Essential Tips to Help You Create Successful Game Apps
- Fintech vs Techfin: Where Does the Future of Banking Lies?
- Vulnerability Management Process: The Crucial Way to Maintain Your Cyber Security Posture
- Why React Native Framework is the Right Choice for Hybrid App Development
- Why Do You Need Financial Software Development Service for Your Business
- Importance of Fintech Solutions in This Digital Age
- Learn Why it Important To Integrate Content Marketing & SEO
- How Mobile Apps Are Making A Difference in Real Estate Industry
- 10 Useful Tips to Create Highly Engaging Social Media Content
- Building A Website Gets Easy Without Coding
- Five Main Stages of Game Development
- Top SEO Trends You Must Follow in 2022
- Things to Learn for High-End App Development in 2022
- The Right Strategy to Make Your Mobile App Equipped with Sound Social Networking Tools
- 6 Common Mistakes in Ecommerce Website Development To Avoid
- The Year 2021 and The Challenges In Cybersecurity Industry
- Top Benefits of Having an Impactful UI/ UX Design For Your App
- Useful SEO Tips For Small Businesses Website Optimization
- Know The Different Channels Important To Build Your Online Reputation
- Structured Data: An Important Tool in SEO to Mark Strong Online Presence
- Learn the Different Strategies to Use for B2B Lead Generation in Digital Marketing
- Things to Consider Before Launching Your App in Google Play Store
- Google’s Page Experience Update Now Fully Rolled Out- Here’s What You Can Expect
- 7 Useful Tips to Ensure the Best Android App Development
- Learn Professional Web Development Tips to Build an Efficient Website
- Learn the Effective Ways to Manage Your Online Reputation
- Three Principles Every User Experience Designers Should Follow
- Top 5 Benefits of Integrating Cyber Security Services with Your Business
- Google’s New Safeguards for Minors to Create Safer Space on the Internet
- Benefits of Android Game Development You Must Not Ignore
- Google Removes Safe Browsing and Ad Experience Widgets from Page Experience Ranking Signal Criteria
- Google Changes Eligibility for Fact Check Rich Results
- Why You Need To Hire an Online Reputation Management Company for Your Business
- Complete Guide on 2d and 3d Game Development
- MITRE Engenuity releases first ATT&CK evaluations for Industrial Control Systems Security Tools
- WordPress SEO: 3 Quick and Easy Hacks for PageSpeed & Core Web Vitals
- Researchers Reveal New Trick of Hackers to Disable Macro Security Warnings in Malicious Office Files
- Top PHP Development Tools Leading Website Development Company Uses
- Cloud Security Analysis Solutions: The Next Step to Make Your Data Secure
- Learn How to Optimize Your Site for Google’s Page Experience Update
- Amid Rising Cybersecurity Threat Indian Military Personnel to Get Trained in the US on Cyber Warfare
- How the Network Change in Pandemic Steered to Must Cybersecurity
- 7 Reason You Should Get Mobile App for Your Business
- Google Rolls Out New Spam Algorithm Update: What Changes You Can Expect
- Top 10 Benefits of Unity Game Development
- VPN Attacks: A Rising Threat for Remote Work in the COVID-19 Era
- Google Releases New Framework to Prevent Software Supply Chain Attacks
- GitHub Discloses Details of Easy-to-Exploit Linux Vulnerability
- Read Key Highlights of Google Ads API version 8.0
- Here How the Gaming Giant EA was Hacked
- Know How A Malvertising Campaign On Google Distributed Trojanized AnyDesk Installer
- Learn How to Find the Best UI/UX Development Company
- Trends of 2021 Every Top Cyber Security Company in India Follows
- Improve your Conversion Rate with 10 Essential Elements of Good SEO
- Google Announces New Features for App Advertisers to Improve ROI
- FragAttacks: Set of New Vulnerabilities that Expose Nearly All Wi-Fi Devices to Attacks
- Latest Technologies and Trends in Mobile Game App Development
- Babuk – How a Newcomer soon becomes a Growing Ransomware Threat
- 5 Characteristics of the Best Digital Marketing Services Provider
- Here are the Tips to Choose the Best Game App Development Company
- 7 Reasons to do Search Engine Optimization for your Website
- Integrating AI with Cyber Security – Tomorrow of Cyber Security
- How Much Does HIPAA Compliance Cost?
- Best Android Game App Development Company Doesn’t Miss out Following Features
- Effective Voice Search Statistics for 2020
- Android 10: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Make Massive Money with Mobile Apps In 2020
- Drastic boost in mobile gaming during coronavirus lockdown
- Cyber security – A Tool to Address Digital World’s Major Issues; Cyber Attack
- 5 facts to keep in mind before hiring Game app development Company in India.
- Best iOS games app development
Babuk – How a Newcomer soon becomes a Growing Ransomware Threat
After its discovery at the beginning of year 2021, the Babuk ransomware gang is becoming a growing threat to multiple sectors- healthcare, manufacturing, and logistics. It has been quite active lately and demanding ransom of thousands of dollars from the victims.
In a month alone, the gang has attacked several organizations, including Houston Rockets, Phone House Spain, Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, and Telethon: biotech.
According to recent reports, the Babuk gang of threat actors claims to have stolen more than 250 gigabytes of data from the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). The stolen data includes police reports, internal memos, and personal details and mug shots of arrested people. The data were published on Babuk’s official website along with the claim. They even threatened to publish yet more data if their extortion demands aren’t met.
The attackers reportedly also commented on the security system of MPD. They wrote, “Even such an organization has huge security gaps, we advise them to get in touch as soon as possible and pay us, otherwise we will publish this data”.
Why Babuk is a growing threat?
Criminals behind ransomware typically practice the double extortion technique. After stealing data, operators lock up files and demands double extortion. The ransom payment demands for the attackers generally range from $60,000 to $85,000. Keeping this in mind, MPD didn’t acknowledge that files were locked. If it turns out that files were encrypted, that could have been yet another double-extortion attempt.
The Babuk gang has recently installed new features to ensure encryption of victim machines before the ransomware gets deployed. The gang has also set up a website to leak data and pressure victims into paying the ransom.
How do they operate?
If we see Babuk’s history, they usually post the stolen files as a way of applying thumbscrews. This tactic has worked, making victims pay up. Although Babuk is a newcomer to this particular crimeware niche, they have already lobbed at least five big enterprises. The outsourcing firm Serco, is one of its victims that confirmed being slammed with a double extortion ransomware attack in late January this year.
Babuk ransomware operates on RaaS model that is a ransomware-as-a-service. The criminals make their affiliates do the mucky job while the developer got to take a bite of the profits.
Babuk group set multiple infection vectors that include email phishing where the group sends an initial email linked to a different malware strain, Trickbot or Emotet, which acts as a loader. The gang exploits publicly disclosed but unpatched common vulnerabilities and exposures. This is especially done in remote access software, network edge hardware, web servers, and firewalls. Further, the group breaks inside victim’s targeted network, using valid (compromised) accounts. Typically, this is done through weakly protected RDP access with credentials acquired via commodity info stealers.
Sectors which are Easy Picks for Ransomware Gang
Unfortunately, police departments are among the scads of schools and state and local government bodies that have proved to be easy pickings for attackers. There are reports saying Babuk is currently targeting different sectors across multiple geographies- agricultural, electronics, healthcare, plastic and transportation. Some more similar attacks with the same tactics are expected to occur in near time. The concern has grown after Babuk posts an advertisement to recruit affiliates to put its malware into action on the Dark Web meeting place.
Babuk ransomware though the youngest among ransomware gangs, started operations this year beginning, they have become a growing threat. In a very short span, it has secured its name into the list of dreadful ransomware groups. Security researchers have got their eyes open to put a cap on the progress of this Babuk ransomware threat.